View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Playing the tape through never worked for me. I often found myself drinking without conscious thought, having sworn off just that morning. The reason I had sworn off was because of what had happened in the previous few days. It couldn't have been fresher in my memory, yet when it was most needed, that memory wasn't there.

This seems to be a common charcteristic of the type of alcoholic described in the Big Book, not necessarily all problem drinkers.

I must admit, though, it doesn't sound a very attractive way to stay sober. Isn't the idea fear based? We consider all the consequences and are then too frightened to drink?

Staying sober out of fear doesn't have much appeal. In fact, as I recall, doctors warnings about the state of my health near the end were scary all right, but they just lead to more drinking. Again such warnings are often effective with other problem drinkers.

One of the baffling characteristics of my type of alcoholism was the total inability to follow suggestions such as play the tape through or don't pick up the first drink. It caused great despair to me that I could not do what others seemed able to do. It wasn't till I found out the truth from others like me that I began to get some hope.