View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Thank you for the inspiring thread

I think one feature that makes SR such a comfortable and helpful place is the fact that people can post about a wide range of states, both positive and negative, for inspiration and lessons and everything in between.

It's interesting how some of us find certain posts and threads triggering and having a negative effect. I personally don't tend to experience problems with viewing anything that is being shared here and often find posts about struggles, relapses, etc helpful not only in a sense that the poster can get support through them but also in that they are a good reminder of the reality of what we are dealing with.

Another good (and I think unique) feature of an online board is that we are 100% free to be selective and read / post as we wish, can choose who to interact with, when, etc. Of course we all would rather be in an ideal world of recovery without suffering, it's just that unfortunately that's not the whole reality of this condition. Relapse may not be part of recovery per se, but it's unfortunately central to addiction. I agree with Croissan't comment above on each journey being different and open ended as long as we are alive.

I also think people differ in what sort of knowledge, interaction and help they find useful in their recovery, and I believe this can change during the course of our journey. For example, I tend to find negative reinforcement helpful and often respond to this with constructive action in the right direction. But not every day and not any dose of it.

This whole discussion reminds me of issues with people management that I need to deal with in my professional life and I honestly struggle with it often. How to motivate and inspire people, how to help them (well, help us as a team) achieve the most efficient effort and best results? I wish there was one way that worked with everyone... or even with one person all the time!

I think what makes a group like SR so great is that we are a diverse bunch of people dealing with our own form of the same problem and can find a wide variety of feedback and reactions from our peers. I also find it very interesting how longer term members tend to carve out certain styles and roles, which is of course true for any community, online or offline.

Jus, I think you definitely occupy a unique and wonderful niche with your kind and inspiring posts full of positivity. Please continue doing that!