Thread: We talked today
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by edenchai
And though I wouldn't mind going to his meetings with him (tbh, I actually liked them more than nar-anon and got as much if not more out of them) he has to do those things for himself and I will go if invited.
My son often took me to open meetings and I too enjoyed them and got a lot from them. What I did find, however, is they enhanced but did not replace my own meetings. My meetings required real work from "me" and were about uncovering my own feelings that had been "stuffed" and needed airing.

It was easier for me to understand what was wrong with my son and what he needed to do about it than it was for me to acknowledge what was wrong with me and the work required to find my own balance and get healthy again.

I'm not saying this is how it is for you, but it's not uncommon for us codies to find more comfort in going to their meetings than our own. In the end, both are good, for totally different reasons.

You sound wise and strong and it looks like you have a clarity that comes with a little time and distance. I hope the days ahead bring you peace and balance...regardless of what his choices are.

Hugs