View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RevivingOphelia
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

And why she would put up with the DECADES of Bill W's Dry Drunk Douchebaggery?
Why do women (and some men) put up with days, months, or decades of abuse or addiction or both?

I'll posit some reasons as to why women, from Lois to women today, remain with jerks:

Women, by and large, are STILL raised to think it's their duty to remain the devoted wife/mother. Some do not have the emotional strength to leave. Some do not have the financial means to leave. Some are too scared to face the world alone. Others do not want to give up any vestige of privilege (financial/social) that they may be experiencing by staying with their spouse. Some feel safer in the mirage of a relationship than no relationship at all and use elaborate methods of denial and rationalizations to justify their choice to stay.

They'd rather have a douchebag of a man than no man b/c a woman is taught from a young age that her value is somehow tied to being with one. Some women choose to remain in a shell of a marriage rather than find the strength and face the prospect of being on their own because they don't know HOW they are going to forge ahead with an independent life. Lois probably had even less opportunities to create a new life without Bill. Child/Spousal support laws were not the way they are today. Employment opportunities were also limited for women.

I think it's awesome you don't equate yourself with Lois.