View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
grubby

Originally Posted by withyou
Hello All,

I will quit playing starting today. I played 16 hours in a row, and I realized I have relapsed.

I would like to look for a thread for people for same problem. Can anybody recommend me one?
I realized, support group is the most effective way to get rid of it once and for all.

Your help would be appreciated

Your Sincerely

Withyou
I went thru a video game phase myself circa 2006-2009, my drug of choice was WoW. Played 5-7 hours immediately after i got home from my 8-hour day job, slowly worked/earned my way up the ranks to a "group leader" position (main tank) and my habit only got worse from there. One day, out of nowhere, i thought to myself:

"WHY am i doing this???? this is SUCH a waste of time......."

Few days later i uninstalled everything and threw my discs in the trash. I went on my guilds website forum and posted a farewell message explaining that i was moving on with my life and that the game was starting to become like a part-time job........ with no pay. They wished me well and i was removed from the roster.

I never went back or relapsed, however the temptation was always there....... a few months after i "quit" my virtual job some of my former guild-mates contacted me and were yanking my chain about "so when you coming back? ". One of them even offered to buy me a free 60-day time card, i declined however......... i knew now that the game was a giant black hole that sucks you in and keeps you there.

I think video game addiction is more common than we think, understandably so........ with the state of the economy being what it is (bordering on third-world country status) and the total lack of any decent jobs im not surprised people choose to lose themselves in virtual reality to take their mind off of things. Then there is the time element, people who are unemployed have ALL the time in the world to mess around with alcohol, smoking, video games, and the like.

When one world is so unbearable, boring, or both (i.e. the "real" world).......... its only natural that you go looking for another.

On another note, i am going to whole-heartedly agree with those who mentioned that alcohol and video games "go together". I wont lie, some of the most memorable gaming moments i have had were under the influence. A Halo multiplayer session with friends, with booze flowing, is something else....... good times good times

The good thing is, video games are really just a time-waster and other than maybe causing you to gain a little extra weight from the lack of physical activity....... there really arent any downsides to them, at least no where NEAR as serious as the side effects of alcohol, smoking, weed, crack, etc.