View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jaynie04

Hey with you, glad you found us! I don't have a video addiction, probably because I have never played. But I am on my computer way too much, we had a wicked winter here and I got into some pretty bad habits. The thing I realize is that the days that pass that I spend too much time online seems to pass as a blur. What seems really important at the time because it is in front of me, fades, and those hours just blend into each other, nothing to set them apart when I look back.

It feels so so similar to drinking…just one more hour vs. just one more drink. So I would say SR could be of use to you. I think a lot of us understand the compulsions. A friend here posted about when he likes a new song, how he plays it over and over non-stop. I see a lot of our behaviors as similar.

But, the good news is that that focus can also be shifted to something healthy. I mean, it is a part of us right? I have seen aspects of that side of me be put to good use when I can channel it, when I gardened I could plant 15 rose bushes a day, when I get into a cleaning frenzy dirt beware (that needs to happen more), when I used to figure skate I would say just 15 more minutes after 3 hours on the ice. There are a lot of sayings that come in useful "easy does it", "first things first", some basic things that anyone with addictive tendencies can benefit by simply by understanding their own predisposition.

I went to inpatient rehab last summer, there were people there suffering from gambling, sex, food addictions. A lot of us participated in the same lectures, because underneath it all there was a remarkable similarity in the way our brains worked, we just used different measures to try to satiate our brain. Happy you are here!