View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
GreenEggsAndHam
Sober Today

Originally Posted by Cathryn2001 View Post
Actually, HFA is the term that "got me in the door."

Came from a family/friends that believed that you're only an alcoholic if you are always at rock bottom--constantly drunk, no job, no spouse, lost kids, legal problems, etc. Even though I knew my drinking wasn't working in my life, I didn't fit the above criteria, so what did I do? Kept drinking.

Once I heard the term HFA, I thought, "THAT'S ME!" No escaping the fact that I had a problem. I might have thought that I was keeping it all together, but I so wasn't.

The key word in high functioning alcoholic is alcoholic. To me, it doesn't justify anything, just acknowledges the facade and warns that it will inevitably come crumbling down.
This is a good post. To me an alcoholic is an alcoholic, but I don't dislike the term because I do think it can make people who haven't hit a low bottom seek help before they do. JMO.

btw - I always just thought high functioning alcoholic meant someone who does well with their career, can pay their bills on time, no trouble with the law, hasn't lost their car/home/spouse/kids...someone who hasn't really suffered major consequences yet.