Old 04-04-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
krete77

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hmm, you might be able to unlearn some learned behaviours, but I have an addictive personality and it's at least partly genetic. I know both parents had addictive personalities and my early memories involve obsession and compulsion.

So, I think part of the solution is accepting what IS. I have an addictive personality. And, part of the solution is learning ways to deal with this issue that are healthy and safe.
Right. I think unlearning the learned behaviors that I've done for so long is going to be key here, and replacing them with more productive behaviors. This seems like it will be a LONG process...which saddens me, but then at the same time, that line of thinking right there is a part of me that wants immediate satisfaction from things, and if I don't get it, then I seek ways to get it.

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Got to blame something I guess. Addictive Personality seems to be it. I dont blame anything, anyone else other then myself. I knew full well the consequences of taking a drink, yet I took it THINKING it will be different. I really REALLY wanna blame someone tho, can I blame the cops? judge? jailer? copper? witnesses? victim?
While I understand what you're saying, that's not really what I meant. I take full responsibility for all of my actions. And while It has never come to any major (or even minor trouble for that matter), it was bad enough that it has bothered me for many, many years. I guess i wasn't a true alcoholic like most on here, but I'm not gonna say I didn't have a problem either. I could stop at 3 drinks no problem. The problem was why was I drinking in the first place? And what was leading me to drink? Or smoke? or do drugs? or engage in activities without practicing ANY moderation whatsoever. That's what I'm looking for. Not to place the blame on anyone.

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Krete, I just reread the thread and realized you have a problem with weed. Well, marijuana is my main research area currently. I never had an issue with it personally (tried it several times when younger, did not particularly like it), my enemy is alcohol.

Also, I see in your sig line "computer science" mentioned... If that's what you do, you could probably find a way to get involved in addiction research through that. Serious bioinformatics is essential part of many research studies.
Thanks for your input haennie. I did some bioinformatics class but found it semi boring. I am a few classes away from my bachelors in CS and haven't actually had the chance to work in the field yet. Don't even know if I'm going to. I got problems just finding a job right now as it is.