View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
littlefish

Like night and day

It's around 7 years ago, (not my sober date it took a while), but close to the day I walked into my outpatient program and then an aa meeting. I was done, finished, kaput.
Back then, I spent my days in the AM nursing hangovers with sips of beer until I felt better, then switched to harder stuff, whatever I could keep down without throwing up. I spent the rest of my day, when I wasn't sneaking beers in the bathroom at my part time job, on my sofa watching the same dvd's over and over until I passed out at night, sometimes with all my clothes on and without brushing my teeth. I didn't fit in any of my clothes anymore and wore my teenage son's cast off clothes.

Yesterday I sat in a meeting explaining an applications program I was implementing on a website to a group of experts I had assembled for a national exhibition occurring later this year, that I am primarily responsible for. A cooperative I belong to asked me (me????!!!!!) to run for president of the organization in next weeks elections; we are responsible for the allocation of hundreds of thousands of (equivalent of dollars) in funding in our county. When I got home from the meeting yesterday, I glanced over at the sofa, I thought about where I was 7 years ago, on that sofa, and where I am now.

To all you newcomers: if I did it, you can too!!!!!!!!