Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

I've spent several years working on major studies in addiction research, including serving as the clinical director for the Collaborative Studies on the Genetics of Alcoholism (COGA). My personal experience is that knowing why we are (I am) addicted adds virtually nothing to the quality of my sobriety. With all my accumulated knowledge and experience, I still relapsed after twenty five years without a drink.

Besides, a lot folks go crazy comparing the relative merits and relevance among competing theories of addiction. And there are many. Some are valid, but many if not most are a waste of time.

I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else would be better off turning away from your natural sense of curiosity or by stifling further learning. Maintain a critical eye, and be prepared to be both confused and frustrated. And possibly enlightened.

My own personal bias is that any theory that settles on a single variable as the cause for addictions is a theory that is the inevitable and unfortunate consequence of intellectual laziness.