View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
soberShane

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
Welcome to SR, SoberShane. That is one heck of a 1st post man! I am glad that you have lived through all those incidents (you are 1 lucky dude!) but I hope you see that there is a very good possibility that the next time you might not be SO lucky.

From the tone of your last paragraph, I think you have figured out what you need to do. SAVE yourself, your marriage and your future Shane and put some serious thought into getting clean and sober for good!

I have used all those substances (and some you didn't mention....) and come out alive. I was lucky enough to never get a DUI or have a serious accident (came VERY close, several times...) or do any jail time before I ended my 40 year drinking career 20 months ago and gave up weed 16 months ago (today!). I also had a serious Coke problem way back when but I gave that up 33 years ago (along with LSD, Speed, Quayludes, Shrooms etc....).

Here is a list that I posted in my 1 year sobriety thread when I was asked for some tips. I hope that this is helpful to you.

My advice is this:
1. Admit to YOURSELF that you are the problem.
2. Remove all alcohol (and drugs) from your home.
3. Determine who your TRUE friends are. (hint: not your party buddies)
4. Distance yourself from anyone who is a threat to your sobriety.
5. Surround yourself with people who truly care about you.
6. Allow yourself to experience the emotions that will come about by making these changes in your life.
7. EXERCISE and drink lots of water.
8. Just DON'T DRINK. For the next minute, hour, day, week or month... whatever works for you.

It sounds like you have a lot of good things in your life Shane, please don't throw them away.

Good Luck!
Hey Hope, thanks for the post, that is a great list. I think I can handle doing all 8 of those pretty easily. I must say however that I don't experience the whole OMG I just need a drink kind of sensation, I just never have which is, in my opinion, alcohol's way of getting me to keep coming back. Is anyone else like me out there? It's almost like alcohol wants me to think it's ok for me to drink. Regardless I think you picked up on my decision to ditch the drinks and curb this crazy lifestyle once and for all.