View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
incitingsilence

The therapy for this is absolutely awesome.
My grandson has this, and he is just fine. He went from one degree to another and learned at 5 how to cope, self sooth and even redirect his own behavior.

He is a snuggle bunny too, so full of life and so funny!

I loved the approach they used with him, getting him so involved in recognizing his behavior and finding his own solutions to cope with life around him. Even the being able to sit still in class. He does that just fine although the bouncing off the walls is still very much there but then he is a boy after all.

He has been out of therapy having completed it all for almost a year now. There was no backslide or anything like that. He has had maybe 2 meltdowns, both times he was just getting sick. He still has to work on communicating how he feels yet the boy has no problem talking your ear off.

Network, talk to other parents, they will be a wealth of information and will also know local resources and what is out there for fun. We found one of our local bouncy places offer 2 nights a month for kids with SPD and Autism, no flashing lights, no loud music, siblings can come to ... that was a great fun time for him especially with the sensitivity he had to noise.

Who else has it? Did they ask you that one yet? Some of my sons quirks make sense now. It was strange talking with the neurologist about my grandson and thinking wow his daddy was like that.

I won't lie to you, this will be tough on you as you work with him but it all pays off a hundred fold. My Dil was mess for months and now I get such a kick out of her crying every time he does something new.

Good luck!