View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by KeepinItReal View Post
allforcnm - I visited the special school he's going to. It's amazing! They have a whole room dedicated to sensory and a FULL library in the building that is interactive for the kids. The way everything is set up is genius. They also have a music teacher that has a cart that travels room to room and does music with the kids everyday.

The school is amazing. I was in denial - like - well - he's a boy's boy - he's just tough and rough - but I would avoid social situations because he would not intentionally hurt kids. He throws very hard and has a difficult time with slow or easy or gentle but can do it if he concentrates. So, he just needs practice.

He is def. going to an awesome school and all the kids looked happy.
I'm glad that with therapy he can have a better chance to not get into trouble at school. It would be easy for an elementary teacher to "think" he was just not trying hard enough.. and he could get discouraged. I'm glad he's learning in a positive atmosphere! It's sometimes not easy for US parents.. coming out of denial.
This does sound a lot like what I was reading about... I know it has to be hard as a mom, but it sounds like the school is wonderful and very skilled in the therapeutic approaches. From what I was reading the kids learn to find their sensory balance by continued practice, but to them its just normal play and learning. I bet you will soon meet other parents and get a lot of great feedback. Thank you for sharing this, I will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.