Thread: messed up
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
IWillWin

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I guess part of my problem is that I have always been the go to person if someone has a problem. I was the together person that could come up with solutions to other peoples problems. After a while, I got tired of this, and would talk to them about some things I was dealing with. They appeared bored, and found some reason to leave. That hurt, and I knew two things. One, they really didn't care about me and two, I was on my own. Yes, I expected them to give me some time also, but I was wrong. My expectations were not realistic. I don't blame them. They found a sounding board and took advantage of it. Makes sense to me. My career, before I moved on was to fix other peoples' problems, and I was good at it. A lot of peoples lives improved because of the work I put into it. I have spent most of my life helping others to improve their lives. Some came back and thanked me for what I did for them, and although I didn't think I did much, it was nice to hear. Although I know I am wrong in thinking this, but maybe there is a part of me that feels I deserve something after all the years I gave to others. I know I'm wrong because I never once expected anybody I helped to repay me in any way. In fact, if someone did, I would tell them they owe me nothing. I did it because it was the right thing to do. I think I'm beginning to feel sorry for myself which I know is not a good place to be. D helped me with that. I am truly happy to be me, and am grateful for many things. I have really nothing to complain about. Life is good.
^^^me in a nutshell. I am exactly the same way. Always there for everyone. Even when I first used AA when I quit there I was a newbie helping others when I was struggling myself. I find myself coming to the same conclusion as you. But, let's both remember that our friends here at SR are here for us and no one expects anything other than to support us when we need it.

I'm a year and 7 months living sober...join me. We can do this. Even if the only people who will be "there" for us are virtual - the people here are better friends to me than many in my regular life and I've never met a single person in the real world. Heck, this place IS my real world a lot of the time for sharing. You helped me tonight