View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
grubby

Originally Posted by AuntieSoso View Post
I just quit and that was that. I'd spent a lot of time wanting to quit, but had never been successful. Mostly I would try moderation - only drinking on weekends. But Thursday is close enough to the weekend, right? And, oh, we're going out to dinner on Wednesday so might as well have a cocktail while we're out, right? Well, Monday is a special occasion because of somereasonorother so might as well have a drink then, too. So I clearly had no control over sticking to any sort of plan I made. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and say "I will not drink tomorrow" - but then I would drink.

I guess I wasn't far along enough to have any sort of withdrawal symptoms other than a couple nights of insomnia. I honestly had no idea that quitting drinking could be dangerous if done cold turkey.

I actually didn't decide to quit when I did. I attribute it to the grace of God that I just woke up one morning and was done. The decision had been made and I no longer wanted alcohol. I consider myself lucky in that respect. DH drinks every now and then, we have booze in the cupboard and beer in the fridge and wine in the wine fridge and I don't want any of it.

I quit smoking the same way, too, back in 1998. Never smoked again.
Me either.

I was always under the impression that, compared to "hardcore" drugs like crack and heroin, alcohol was "safe" and that "there isnt anything to worry about". Boy was i wrong.

Ignorance is.......... dangerous.