View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Starbright4

Lost and Confused

I'm new to the forum and have been reading posts over the past few days. I have been with my ABF for 10 months. he has struggled with alcohol and drugs for years. He has gone through periods of years of being sober, but he then slips and starts drinking again. Over the course of our relationship, I have noticed him slowly getting worse. Most of the drinking was hidden from me since we only are able to see each other twice a week. He has promised to get sober, not at my request, but from his own. I agreed and told him he has my support. That lasted a week. Over the past few months he has been hospitalized for a seizure,he has Type 1 diabetes, which I witnessed, broken ribs, broke his toilet from falling, and a three day hospital stay from not watching his insulin levels. Last week he was arrested for a DUI and he had his young daughter in the car. Since then he has been distant and "overwhelmed".

I have not heard from him for 3 days. I have been in communication with a friend of his who says he is "doing a lot of thinking". ABF and I have talked many times about blending our families together and hoped to do so in the near future, so not communicating is not like us. This is why I am so sad I have not heard from him. I don't know if he is drinking or depressed and I feel so helpless.

Do I continue to reach out or wait for him to contact me. Am I wrong to think he could get sober? I see what he like when he is not drinking and I love that person. This is killing me.