View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lizwig

Great topic..thanks. I started taking care of me by attending al-anon once per week. It definitely has given me tools and its a great reminder of what I am powerless over. I found it gave me tools but didn't seem to include a whole lot of stories about people overcoming drug addictions (being al-anon and all!) There were also no other parents in my group. I knew I needed more and stumbled across this great site which has helped me more than I can say. I was then invited to a birthday night at an open AA meeting. It's where the members celebrate milestones and talk about how things were and how they differ now. The hope, acceptance and gratitude in that group has kept me going back. I then started a "40 days to miracles" journey where I write 5 things I'm grateful for each day...take a picture of my journal page and send it to my "miracle buddy"... about 350 days now and going strong!! I was feeling so much better mentally but knew I needed to catch up physically so I joined a gym and now do 5 classes a week..zumba, kickboxing, and a weightlifting class. Oh yeah....and I work full time...and sit on several community boards. I had given up so much of me by becoming so focused on my son's addiction. I feel like myself again. Running from one joy filled activity to another. I don't have the time now to stress over every move he does or doesn't make. I pray for him each time he crosses my thoughts. I have noticed I still have a tendency to resist handing things over entirely and its then that I express my gratitude that I have tools and resources now...not to mention all of you!!!