Thread: A new low
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
teetotalitarian

Hi1lifeleft, I'm a newcomer to sobriety and I am not sure if I should give any advice because I realize that's frowned upon in many circumstances and my life is still a mess from letting lies and pathology hijack my agency for years.

I think you should consider coming clean to your wife and coworkers.

I spent a lot of time and effort trying to cover up my drinking and foibles, and as a result, my dishonesty became a strong driving force behind the drinking. "I'm a liar anyway, so why not continue to lie?" Lying became normal. People who challenged my lies were irritating. Adversaries. Victims sometimes, but still adversaries. The urgency and intricacy of covering my tracks distracted me from the urgency of getting better and it kept me in this helpless paralyzed state that made me feel miserable and loathe myself.

Again, I'm sorry I can't figure out how to phrase that in a way that isn't explicit advice. I'm still working on that. It's just that "getting away" with things, it does you no favors. It's often better to let the truth be known and pieces fall where they SHOULD be falling.