Thread: Been drinking
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Hawkeye13

I have never participated in AA or any other structured group and I have managed to quit a 30 year alcohol habit on my own.

But I made a plan beyond just not drinking for myself, which included improved nutrition, exercise, sleep schedules, yoga / mediation, educating myself about addiction,
and a focused plan of reintroducing fun and creative things back into my life (guitar lessons at home with video, voice lessons,
bought a jazz cd collection and began learning about the music and artists, reading books for fun, and so on)

Recently, I have started therapy to work on some issues I've been pushing down with alcohol since childhood, so my sobriety plan modifies and changes as I grow and change.

All of the above does take time and discipline, but it has made all the difference in my ability to quit successfully without a structured program external to myself.

If you don't want AA, or Rational Recovery, or anything like that, I suggest that you need to take
independent action and make a plan which will work for you and implement it.

If you are doing the same thing you were doing before drinking but not drinking, pretty
soon you will relapse, because nothing has really changed.

The change part is hard work, but also very rewarding and more and more fun as time passes and cravings go away.

I think doing something like this could really help you, and take your focus off of recovery programs you don't want to participate in.
That's a negative focus, and to get the job done, a positive focus will help so much more.

Good luck and congrats on your sober time!