Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EveningRose

anybody else shudder at the thought of...

...multi-generational living?

I read about how it's so normal in other cultures, and was in times past here, too. On a forum I frequent, they're discussing the likelihood of it coming back into vogue.

From a very young age, I have been so grateful it's not the expected, accepted, or norm here and now. I have often, on reading these things, thought what an incredibly nightmare it would be to have to live with my parents, with my children, being a responsible, hard-working adult, and still having my parents berate me, find fault, and correct and chastise at every turn. I would have either become completely suicidal, and totally self-loathing, or I might have turned into a very aggressive b*tch and finally gotten in their faces about their behavior, without the option of just walking away from it.

I've often wondered about those in times past or in other cultures who have dysfunctional parents and are caught living with those destructive parents throughout their adulthood.

What's sad is, I imagine multi-generational living could be a wonderful thing, with a loving family. But for me, it would have been horrible.