View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lance40

Originally Posted by MrsSensitive View Post
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Did the grocery shopping today and it was a little odd walking past that wine aisle without stopping. I persevered though. The thought of what to do with all this extra time on my hands is consuming. Never been a "day" drinker, but when 5pm strikes, it always gets really sticky for me.
I so relate with everything you've said - I've been right there with you on the walking past the usual stopping spots, the extra time and the late afternoon trap. I'm just curious - do you have any particular strategy with how you deal with walking past the wine aisle?

I came up with what are probably silly little rituals to deal with walking past the liquor store on the way home from work. For the first while I altered my entire route so I didn't even go by it, but I still craved like crazy. The first day I walked by it I walked on the opposite side of the street and kept my head turned to the side so I couldn't even see it in my peripheral vision. LOL

The last time I walked by there I didn't have any cravings but at the last minute I decided to still cross the street and walk on the opposite side just to re-affirm that I'm no longer drinking. My ongoing plan is to avoid walking by the liquor store whenever possible because I find it's a conscious affirmation for me that I'm living a new life now and don't need to tempt the old paths unless business requires I be in that area.