View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TracyAgain

Originally Posted by GettingSober
The flipside of course is that you have lived long enough to have that problem.
I'm a bit young for it actually (44), but it's okay. After watching friends and family struggle with MS, cancer, etc., it seems like a small cross to bear.

I am fighting another rotator cuff tear but the good doc says its not good enough for surgery this time. Cuff problem is an over 40 thing ( and in my case falling straight down drunk with arm outstretched ), unless your a pro athlete. I think I can bring it around.
OUCH!!! Cuff stuff is very painful and a bugger to heal. I hurt mine several years ago (snapping a towel at hubby) and it still bothers me at night.

But its funny how making it this far does not seem to make it more bearable. Dad used to say when I was small that nature takes enough things from you so that you no longer care to live.
I don't think I believe your dad. A couple people close to me have died and I stayed with them until the end. Neither had much to live for, terrible pain that would never go away, etc., but both would have chosen to live had that been an option.

But tonight I realized I suffer from a bigger problem, not enjoying life like I used to when I was young. I'm still in good shape, its the desk job all day, supporting the family and having a career that is beginning to feel more and more like a sinking ship - while not doing the fun things, largely its 1) be more freaking active 2) Keep your eyes open for intresting things to do an maybe a career that is more interesting.
I'm right with you on the "sinking ship" part. I have been thinking a lot about what I'd rather be doing for a career and with spare time. I would like to return to school, but I've been down that road and know there would be little time and no money for play. For now it feels more important for to learn how to play again. I'd love to go parasailing in the Carribean, and will someday, but right now my sights are set on more modest fun.

If I am to enjoy Life Part II then I need to make some changes. The booze was probably shutting down those feelings.
Me too.

The funny thing is, when I flew freight all nite, so tired cops would pull me over driving home from the airport - I never once thought about stopping and getting alchohol. My career is killing me. How to switch when you have a 5k a month burn rate? Now thats a neat trick.
It would be difficult to replace that kind of income and I understand how draining it is to be sendentary for much of the day. You'd think that physical work would be more tiring, but it's not, IME. I hope you can figure a way to get what you want out of life while keeping what you need.

Tracy