Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JustAGirl1971

Sounds like you are doing great! And 3/4 of a mile is huge to me... I can not run to save my life, lol.

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
Anywhoo, he says AA is still not for him. He is looking into therapy again but I have to ask: how effective is it in the long term if there is no spiritual recovery program?

I can't comment on how effective counseling is as a replacement to AA as I have no experience with either program. Just really wanted to say that I really think spiritual recovery is more about the individual and how hard he/she works it as opposed to what type of program & tools they use... Alanon has really helped me. I wouldn't trade it for anything... but I really feel strongly that I was already on the path to spiritual recovery before I started alanon. Counseling helped, too. I think of these things more as tools to aid me in my recovery. Doesn't matter how many sessions of counseling or how many alanon meetings I attend, if I'm not working it, I'm not going to recover. I'd think it would be the same on the AA side. So the question isn't whether your AH can be successful with counseling instead of AA, it's whether your AH is really ready to work it? Or, did he just have another crisis that has him making empty promises to you (& himself?)