View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
jaynie04

Kissimee…I hope you stick around. Think about this. We are dealing with a highly charged subject, one that represents life and death to many of us. Many people have strong beliefs about what has worked for them. When I first came here I had a reaction too, I was looking for people to commiserate with my criticisms. Then I realized that being part of a group is a strong part of the human condition.

If I went to Weight Watchers and talked about Jenny Craig and how it was better I probably would get a pretty strong reaction, especially if Weight Watchers had changed some peoples lives. If I got into Harvard and then proceeded to find everything that was wrong with it I doubt I would become class president. The strongest way to shore up a group is to introduce external conflict.

Look at us in the States, after we were bombed during 9/11 no one cared about whether you were Dem or Rep, we were Americans, period. Yet fast forward to the most recent election, we had a lot more pronounced internal divisions. We become protective incrementally of whatever group we imagine ourselves to be a part of.

Nobody here bites…I promise. And we need Weight Watchers as well as Jenny Craig (especially us newly sober munch heads!).