View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
YouWillBe

Yes, I do think someone extremely tender-hearted and able to be very empathetic is more at risk, I really do. They tend to put themselves in other's situations and, in this case, can feel the suffering of the addict (especially if it's their child) much too well. It's a perfect storm to ALLOW them to treat us this way and fuels our codependent actions, that might otherwise never come to light. Maybe?

Add in a people-pleaser and you've got a big emotional mess waiting to happen. (And I think people-pleasing comes from a different place than empathy and tender-heartedness. For me, it's not wanting to rock ANY boat, EVER.)

In my way of thinking alleviating my daughter's trauma, sadness, loneliness - and, thus, her consequences - was the humane thing to do.

UN-learning those behaviors is so hard, especially when I don't want my NOT helping her to make her addict-life more miserable. To make her think mom doesn't care anymore and that she has nowhere else to turn - as she tells me, repeatedly, so it must be the truth!! - hurts my heart. THAT is the driving force behind my codependency, I believe.