View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Kissimee54 View Post
I am interested in what they mean when they say powerless over alcohol. I know that my power is severely diminished if I'm under the influence. I do have the power not to drink. Its confusing.
This is from one of the threads that you started:

Even AA meetings frighten me. I've gone to a bar too many times after meetings.
You attended an AA meeting which is for people who want to quit drinking and directly after you went to a bar to drink (many times). You don't get any closer to the definition than that.

Please don't take my meaning wrong. Any person who has made a solid decision to quit and then picked up a drink is powerless. I've done this many times before this time through.

You can gain power over the addiction and yourself but if you allow yourself to take that first drink and you veer from the goal alcohol will always win.

It took me years of only drinking beer, only drinking on weekends, limiting (heh heh) the number of drinks I had which was torture, to realize that I was just fooling myself. All roads lead back to the same place which is the realization that if I don't quit the results are going to be devastating. It wasn't until I admitted to myself that I was powerless over alcohol that I have succeeded. I am powerful in my sobriety but I will always be powerless over alcohol. One sip and I will repeat the same madness all over again. Maybe not at first but eventually. That's reality.