View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
TracyAgain

Originally Posted by GoldenGutters
Goodbye sucked up tweeker cheeks, goodbye "terra cotta" (love that one) skin, goodbye loose teeth
Good-bye loose teeth means different things, I guess. I have pretty significant bone loss for a middle-ager and had two non-injury fractures before the age of 40. My mom (who is built like me) has the most serious form of osteoporisis that exists. For me, loose teeth meant paying tens of thousands of dollars for bone transplants & implants, or good-bye perfect (not a cavity to be had) teeth.

I'm not rich, so . . . dentures suck, in case anyone is wondering. They look fabulous but food isn't of interest anymore because eating is no fun. Asthetically it doesn't bother me because they *look* perfect to anyone on the outside. My husband of 26 years has them too, so I'm very comfortable being toothless at home and even in the romantic sense. Kinky sh*t that he is, my husband swears that certain sexual acts are vastly improved when sharp teeth are not longer a concern, lol.

I've thought about being refitted but a friend who is in dentistry said that a denture is a prosthetic, like a false leg. It's better than no teeth at all, but it will never work like the real McCoy. That's an accurate statement, IME.

I do miss having a passion for food though. A lot of times going hungry is more appealing than the discomfort of eating. I was at a meeting yesterday and people were joking around about how they *wish* they could forget to eat.

It wasn't funny to me. The smell of food cooking is very appealing and it looks delicious, but eating it is like taking out the trash. It's a chore. Which is not helpful with the whole H.A.L.T. thing.

Tracy