View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Shoshie8

Originally Posted by unchartedxo View Post
this is what I have to keep telling myself too. I don't always drank. in fact, I rarely drink! But when I drink, I drink a lot..... I don't have that off switch. So many times when I was sober I would reminisce and daydream about Sunday afternoon day drinking. Have wine with lunch after church on my friend back porch, beer at the bar while watching the football game... but also, how many times have I been bombed drunk by 7pm and act like a fool in front of my child at bedtime? Or wake up to a busy Monday morning sick as a dog? How quickly I tend to forget to play the whole tape out in my head... I watch the good parts of drinking, not the conflict...
Ah yes, the elusive 'off switch'. I'm interested in the genetics/environment research around this. My dad's grandfather was a raging alcoholic and lost everything. My grandfather never touched a drop as a consequence, but my dad's a big drinker and my sister got herself to AA three years ago before things got messy.

I don't have an off-switch either. I was on a one-way ride with alcohol and it does help me a bit to know that at a rational level.