View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jdooner

First Powerless does not mean helpless. For me I come to accept my powerlessness over alcohol from a scientific perspective. I believe that over time, my addiction damaged a region of my brain, the orbit frontal cortex and pre frontal cortex that serves as the executor for making rational decisions. So when I drink, my brain is unable to make good rational decisions, like not taking another drink or sleeping with a woman other than my wife and getting in my car and driving after said drinks.

I am powerless over the drink before I take a drink bc when I think of a drink it releases dopamine to my brain - same holds true for my drug use too. This release and timing is immediate. Given my damaged or impaired OFC and PFC I am unable to consciously choose not to take my first drink without outside intervention.

I meditate for my outside intervention. This will work and strengthen the damaged portion of my mind to give me the power not to take a drink. This helps restore my power over the drink but its coming from outside intervention spiritually even though I am the one practicing it.

I am not saying my interpretation is right or wrong, simply sharing my experience and how I rationalized being powerless. Now if I was helpless than I would still be drinking. BC I am not, I have been able to ask and receive help to learn these processes to build a defense against my first drink.