Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
grubby

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Really glad to hear it. Our neural pathways get all screwed up when we are drinking and using. Our brains and body wait patiently for the external substances that we have been so faithfully delivering to calm them down. I think that lapse between when we stop using chemicals and when our brains tentatively realize they might need to restore to factory setting can be difficult to endure. It is part of the reason a lot of us throw in the towel and relapse. And it might not be a straight line equation at first, but it gradually gets better.
I think this is the perfect analogy, all we want is for everything to go back to the way it was pre-alcohol. "Back to factory default settings" summarizes it perfectly. Wat pisses me off the most is how no one told us about any of this, everyone gives you the impression alcohol is "safe" without ever telling you "the rest of the story" where you can't sleep, your brain gets messed up, you get the shakes, etc.

To be honest? I am quite frankly SHOCKED that humanity has put this ailment on the back-burner. What I mean is, space travel has gotten off the ground, we have smartphones, we have cars, and so on..... but there still hasn't been any "cure" for these vicious addiction diseases? In theory, when you take into account the massive technological leaps forward of the last 200 years, there SHOULD be some sort of pill that you can take that somehow "resets" your system back to normal.

I call BS, how is it we can have this "modern" society and yet there is no pill you can take to, say..... un-do a hangover within minutes? In theory, we SHOULD have some sort of fast-acting alka seltzer like tablet that magically "dispels" your hangover within minutes. It's all very strange if you ask me, same thing with the common cold..... thousands and thousands of years and no cure? Something fishy about that.... it all sounds like the invisible un-seen hand of greed hard at work in the background somewhere.

Hell, even cancer can largely be treated nowadays assuming it gets caught early enough..... and cancer is an actual deadly disease, whereas alcohol only has the "potential" to be life-threatening.

A little off-topic, but I just felt like ranting....