View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
wackybunny
hopping for freedom

Yeah, I was a pretty functional weed addict and people told me I obviously didn't have a problem because I smoked a relatively small amount, I could "manage" life and "achieved so much" etc etc. It doesn't matter what other people say because they're not the ones who have to live with that feeling inside. I'd say that if you're here looking for help, your drinking is an issue for you and people here will support you, no matter how "big" or "small" your drinking problem is.

I also had eating disorders and panic attacks as a teenager. A therapist told me I was just doing it for attention and that no-one was going to care enough to save me and I only had myself. I left infuriated and never returned. It took me many years to see what she was trying to do (albeit insensitive) - make me realize it was only me who could pull myself out of the nose dive. Thankfully I did - got obsessed with nutrition in a healthy way (researched which nutrients came from which foods and why our bodies need them etc).

Besides, the "attention" I was seeking was just a bit of emotional support and guidance, that's not so bad is it?