Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marcher13

Evidence that sobriety really makes a difference

A little over a year ago I googled "alcoholic symptoms" which gave me the best link ever - SR. Like many of us I described myself as a "functioning alcoholic", I don't know about you but I think I used it as a term to describe getting up -- most mornings -- and going to work. How productive I was on most days is entirely debatable.

That "functioning alcoholic" was a middle aged woman with constant headaches, tension, tiredness, high blood pressure, vague indigestion, elimination issues, constant thirst, a thin cough, some anxiety and a short temper. I told myself it was age.

A swelling left ankle really worried me -- could it be gout? Even then I wondered if I was really alcoholic -- maybe I was just a heavy drinker?

After I stopped drinking I slept for up to ten hours a night. It was winter, I also think my body was doing some heavy repairs on this half-century-plus body and, after a few months, I started feeling really really good. I cut down on meat, increased the fruit and vegetables -- my energy levels increased so I walked and cycled more.

Last Monday, the day after twelve months sobriety, I had full (routine) blood tests. I got the results this morning, every level was normal or good, my blood pressure medication has been quartered.

There it is -- evidence that you can feel great and be healthy and I haven't mentioned the mental and emotional benefits.