Thread: Isolating
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SineadOConnor

Originally Posted by makomago View Post
Emotional detachment is a something I did for many years too, not only did I think it was healthy I thought it was an art, a skill even. I don't believe that today)!

I guess in some way that this learned behaviour stems from the family moto of don't trust, don't feel. The only way I found to not feel was to detach emotionally when things when I needed to protect myself. It was a trait learned and practiced for years - I just hope it is not too ingrained!

I find that during conflict this detachment, or isolating becomes almost physical in the sense that however hard I try to open up I get stuck. Like some physical manifestation of fear that acts like a clamp on my ability to speak or reattach to the situation i.e. It onsets by habit and is difficult for me to overcome.

That said, I'd say it is easier to deal with now because of my recovery in AA - it happens less. my drinking has ceased and as a person I am less intolerant, less badly behaved and as a result less conflict arises.

Mark
I went to a seminar the other day, and how your words echos what was said at this "Fear" seminar. It was mentioned that thoughts and insecurities from our up bringing CAN and WILL manifest into dis-ease. Isolation and fear within can cause a definite bondage keeping us from evolving. Its my understanding we must allow for learning, make the time, have the energy, and diligence, and routine to DO THE WORK NECESSARY to overcome our fears and isolation. Finally, REMEMBER we are the luckiest people who need people.