View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
TheVoice

Originally Posted by Kissimee54 View Post
I am a binge drinker. I had long stretches of sobriety and then go off the rails. I always convince myself that it will be different this time. Wrong! It may have been easier if I was a daily drinker! After my last binge I am more committed then ever to stay stopped. I thank God that no one got hurt due to my negligence. I would never be able to forgive myself if that were so!
Thanks for posting Kissimee,

I solved my binge drinking "problem" by getting out of a company where binge drinking was an essential core skill for its employees. Since then (2011) I have not had a single binge.

But...... before everyone says "once and alcoholic, always an alcoholic etc....."

I did not solve the underlying problem i.e. that I like alcohol too much. My drinking merely took on a different form i.e. drinking every evening at home over a period of hours, many glasses of wine and sometimes hard stuff like ouzo. I never got "roaring drunk", unconscious or throwing up at home but did get intoxicated most nights, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. Waking up hung over most mornings and waking up tired (how stupid is that when we think about it?) is what motivated me to get this issue handled somehow.

I can honestly say I feel so much better without drink. Things like Apfelschorle or Johannesbeerschorle (apple juice or blackcurrant juice mixed with mineral water) really do take the edge off the cravings as well.

This is Day 17 of sobriety.

TheVoice