Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
I have been guilty of calling my addict husband some very despicable names. I have even posted it. Do I regret it, very much and I have apologized and made amends to him. When I knew better, I did better. However, an active addicts behaviors can be infuriating and very difficult to understand.

That said, I have also been loving, supportive, forgiving and encouraging. I have also tried to stay on my side of the street and allow him to work it out for himself.

After several months clean, he went back. It is beyond heartbreaking to lose someone again to addiction. But I KNOW in my heart, he has to want it and there is NOTHING I can do to make him want to. I am just not that powerful. Today, I have had to let go and let God and it is the most difficult decision of my life.

To imply I could have loved my husband enough or differently to get and stay clean is simply a lie!!
What I like about craft is that it reminds us that almost every person has something "worth" rewarding and that behind every addict there is still a loveable person.
Thank you for your post, LoveMeNow, it reminded me that our ability to show and convince someone else how loveable they are and how beautiful life is are limited. I struggled with this for quite a while.