Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

I don't think that there is anything particularly religious or spiritual about those principles, but a case can be made for both, and for either or neither for that matter. There is another list, about 'things I learned in kindergarten' that shows a similar congruence, and I don't think those principles are particularly spiritual or religious either.

I think that any of these lists do a dandy job as a blueprint for a principled life, and any one of them truly and deeply followed would at least lead to some degree of cognitive dissonance for the practicing alcoholic. And I agree, if one sets out to follow the seven deadly sins instead of the seven heavenly virtues, then being an alcoholic is wouldn't be a great stretch. It wouldn't be a necessary condition however, as I am sure that there are really bad folks who don't drink (they're everywhere). In the same sense, one could still try to live according to any or even all of these absolutes and still be an alcoholic, I suppose. Even good people have problems with substance abuse and addiction.

Which begs OP's question once again.