View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FlippedRHalo

Thanks xmrscran - I didn't think I'd make it a few times, but, here I am. It still hurts, a lot sometimes, but like many here have said, the pain of staying became worse than the pain of leaving. It felt like tearing a part of my body off to walk away from him, but each day away makes me realize something new and I know that running away from him was the only choice I had left or else I was going to go down with the ship. It was like self-preservation kicked in. Such a sad thing to say about a relationship.

I truly hope this may help to wake him up, but I doubt it and that makes me sad. I know staying and cleaning up his messes and constantly forgiving him for the unforgivable was definitely not helping, but instead making it worse. It's brutally hard to see someone so young and intelligent destroy his life, but destroy it he is. At breakneck speed. I'm not overly religious, but I've let him go and I just continue to pray that God will help him wake up before it's too late. I couldn't save him. I gave it a hell of a good shot, but he wouldn't even face the problem in the slightest. All of his tears and promises were that he'd be the man I deserved, that he'd stop lying, that he'd spend more time with me and other things I wanted to hear that meant nothing - never once did he mention getting help for his severe alcoholism.

That darn denial thing again. :-/