View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
alphaomega
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

A life in hangovers.

Reflecting on how many life events I missed being fully present during, because I was either bombed or hungover.

From little league games to school orientations to bake sales.

I was asked by my best friend to be her birth coach. And while I managed to pull it together enough to help her through childbirth, I was in full on agony from a rip roaring hangover that set off my anxiety and had me reeling for 8 hours of her pushing.

A missed comedic duet in high school because I was too hung over to get out of bed. My partner in that event showed up but was unable to perform because I wasn't there. We found out a week later she had stomach cancer and passed away a few months later. But my hungover behind was too sick. Gheesh.

I have missed so many important things because I was incapable of being there both physically and mentally.

This reflection isn't serving as a self flogging, but rather a reminder as to the gift of what these last seven months of sobriety has brought with it.

I want to face life, squarely and head on, with all of its foibles and follies, with a fully present mind, body and spirit.

I can be fearless and faith filled if I remain sober.