Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AuntieSoso

I'm into meditation - some might call it prayer.

This is unrelated to alcohol, but I used it to get over fear after an accident. I would sit and use a mantra to tell myself that I am _____. Whatever characteristics I wanted to embody is what I would fill in the blank with. For a long time it was I am strong, I am confident. And it really, truly did help me get over my fear and gain more confidence.

So maybe you could pick a mantra of what you WANT to be, not what you don't want to be (psychology says that our brains don't really make use of the negative - not, like I am not going to drink - so instead we filter out the not and our brains hear only the positive "I am going to drink" and then we're stuck). So instead of saying "I'm not going to drink today" say "I will abstain (or be sober or whatever positive word you want to use)". Just for now. If you can live in the present, in the now, then your string of nows become the past, and it might not seem so daunting. Similarly, don't plan for even a week out, or a weekend, or a day or 12 hours, or 6 hours. DO NOW. Don't do "I won't drink tonight", do "I won't drink now" and then before you know it, you've gone a lot of nows without drinking.

It helps me to just DO NOW, not worry about the future - it will get here soon enough and it will be its own now and then that's when I can do something about it.