Old 02-26-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

jenny - It wasn't particularly alcohol, but yes...I took on addiction and codependency at the same time.

I started with alcohol - I was with an alcoholic - treat him (couldn't) or join him (did). Things got worse, we split up and I went into harder drugs.

Somewhere along the way I found SR, lurked for years. Got drawn to the friends & family forums and found I really felt "at home" there - I was a codie before I was an addict (A).

Long story short - hit bottom, turned to SR and leaned strongly on the F&F (friends & family), though read mostly, stayed clean (thanks to other threads) and I am one of the many "double winners" here - addiction and codependency recovery.

It's not easy, but I will tell you that I wouldn't be coming up on 7 years in recovery if it weren't for my work on codependency. Am I perfect? No. Addiction-wise, yes, but codie? I have my slips, but I know to come back here and they don't last so long.

I hope you check out the F&F forums, ACOA (adult children of A's) if it applies....it really does help. FWIW, I "fit" in a few forums, but even those I don't fit in? I learn in all of them.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy