View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

An interesting question......

A question was posed in another forum that was an extremely good question.....unfortunately the forum it was posed in was inappropriate and the manner in which it was posed was.....less than positive. I think it had tremendous value though.......so I am asking it in the appropriate forum in a more positive manner.

Why does NA, AA, Nar-Anon and Al-Anon insist on only using conference approved material during the meetings?

There is so much great literature and thought process out there other than 12 step programs! Why can't it be brought into those rooms? The answer is simple....to prevent conflict and maintain the focus on working the 12 steps. Allowing non-conference approved literature into the rooms could create chaos and a lack of consistency.....anarchy. The 12 step message and pathway to recovery could easily be knocked off course with the varying (albeit very good) influences in other literature and resources.

I've read so much.....about so many recovery programs......and I discuss them freely with my 12 step friends......outside of meetings. I respect the need for conformity. My willingness to listen without allowing my own ego or the irritating personalities of others impede my progress is an imperative to learning how to cope with addiction. It has everything to do with respect. It has nothing (I'll repeat) NOTHING to do with disallowing freedom of thought. I often bring thoughts into the rooms that I have formulated via study outside the rooms.....but I structure it as my own thought process while respecting the "rules" of the meeting. I do not discuss religion (I would not consider myself "religious" per se). I keep the focus on myself. And I listen intently.......

I often compare meetings to gold mining. I have to sift through a whole lot of dirt to find those priceless gold nuggets. And if I'm concentrating on the dirt, I won't see those gold nuggets. They will be sifted away with the dirt. I am always on the lookout for that sparkle of gold.

I assure you.......there's a whole lot of dirt in any program of recovery. And my gold nugget may not be the gold nugget of another. But stop, listen, open your mind, take what you need, and anyone can find help there.....unless they are concentrating on the dirt.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on why meetings are structured as they are (no cross talk) and why only conference approved literature is allowed in the meetings?

gentle hugs
ke