View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ahcb

Walshie,

I dont believe that any kids can be raised in an enviroment with an alcoholic and not come out injured. It may vary, but dont fool yourself, it will happen. You will notice they will not have the number of friends over that you think kids normally have. They are embarrassed and will try to keep it hidden. In my case it was their mother who had a problem. She was very functiona, worked all day in very good paying industry. It was the afternoons and evenings that were her problem.

The advice that people often give here is to get the kids into alanon, or counseling as soon as you can, do not wait to see if their is a problem. I could not agree more with them. I know because I didnt do it and it could have ended tragically. I was fortunate.

Our oldest now a senior in college bears some resentment but trys to be understanding that her mom is an alcoholic. (now sober) My son had some real problems. WHile the doc would not say it was ALL due to alcohol, it was as she put it an issue that had to be dealt with before ANYTHING could be fixed. He is getting better but still has some issues.

Our youngest threw herself into sports and is now an accomplished softball and ice hockey player. She does very well in school and seems the least effected. But they all grew up missing things. It is very sad when kids cannot speak to a parent because their drunk. They know not to ask anything of them in the evening because they will not remember. You are always aware of the risk of mom showing up to your event buzzed or with alcohol on her breath.

Sorry for being so long in answering. It will effect the kids in ways you dont even think of, and each kid is different in that reaction. My wife, now sober, is the love of my life, and i was determined to see her stop. She did but i wish I was more aware of the true cost my our kids paid.