View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Timeflies1977

Angry HELP-Son's Marriage is Toxic

My son is one week into recovery from Alcohol. He has been an alcoholic for many years. His wife is a drug addict but denies this and makes my son out to be the source of all their problems and bad consequences. He is definitely half the problem. No question. But he has very intense abandonment issues related to his dad's suicide when he was a teenager. He married this woman quickly and she honed in on his weaknesses and vulnerabilities and has systematically over 3 years broken him down to nothing. As he was filling out the questionnaire to admit to rehab she was leaning over him telling him to change his answers. Finally he simply stopped trying and looked at her for each answer. Not wanting to add any stress or drama to the situation, I sat quietly and acted like I didn't notice. The problem, he is only on a 7 day inpatient program and while he is not having overt physical withdrawal symptoms at this point, he is weak, broken and empty and he is mostly addicted to her. She is very toxic. Very controling. I believe she is a sociopath as she displays no empathy, does very vindictive things and even brags about orchestrating harmful plots agains people she feels have made her angry. She laughs delightedly at causing other people pain and wields power over my son with glee. It serves her purposes to keep him down, depressed and dependent. I feel like I am watching someone slowly kill my son and all I can do is watch. No matter what she does, he says he deserves it because he is a bad person. My question to those of you with more experience than I is this- What can I do? Do you have any advice? Must I let him hit rock bottom with her? I am actually confindent that he will stop alcohol but I know he wont be done with her at this point. I don't think she is helpable because she lacks empathy but regardless she wont get help because she doens't think she has any problems.