View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chuckles101301

I am greatful for al-anon and I would be more than willing to raise my child in the steps of the program. It is a way of life, a way of being the best person you can be, and I think that is wonderful for everyone...children included. Al-anon isn't about the alcoholic, it is about the person affected by the alcoholic and I know I will never work my way out of the program, but rather incorporate the program into my work. I will be very thankful for the day that my child can attend a meeting and understand what it is about, because it will be so much help to me. Raising children to be responsible, respectful, productive individuals is very difficult and I want my kids to have the best chance possible. Knowing full well the biology behind alcoholism makes me even more determined to help my kids succeed. My husband is sober because of AA and I am becoming a better person because of al-anon, why would we toss these from our life when they have been life-savers. Hopefully, when your kids are older you can be honest about the problem of addiction in the family...it doesn't go away because you leave the alcoholic. I worry about my kids and their future, their interactions with alcohol and how I am going to ensure that they are healthy. Alcoholism is a family disease. Whether there is one sober person or not, it affects everyone to some degree or another...even if the alcoholic never drinks in your presence, the sickness is there. You could just as easily pass on the emotional addictive personality, even if you have not the physical addiction. Alcoholism and codependency are soul-diseases. I say keep talking with your children as they grow up, keep attending meetings, keep them involved in al-anon, and then when they are older, let them decide their course...hopefully they will be healthy. Leaving the alcoholic or moving your children out does not take their father out of their lives. They will have to "deal with" his alcoholism at some point, in one way or another. Keep going to al-anon and keep coming back and I wish you and your family peace and happiness.