Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WBoarder

Introduction

Hi,

I discovered this forum while searching for what to expect at alcohol detox. I still have questions. So anyone with general advice, please chime in. I enter detox tomorrow morning on the recommendation of my physician.

Just a little about me. I had once abstained from alcohol for an entire year to prepare for a military school. Since I have started drinking again, my life has become about alcohol. I write a beer blog, am known in my local beer community, and plan my activities around alcohol. I thought I had it under control because I only drank on weekends.

Lately, I've been hitting it so hard on weekends that by the middle of the work week, I was experiencing terrible withdrawals. This culminated last night. I was catching a cold and instead of beautiful rest, I experienced hallucinations, "shocks" (which seriously may have been seizures), and a racing heart beat. I hardly slept and I "woke" up as sick as I have ever been. I visited my doctor this morning, and he recommended detox.

I also have persistent PTSD and social anxiety; neither of which have ever been diagnosed or treated (other than self-medication with beer).

I am presently a wreck, and trying to pull it together. I am here to seek advice and support. Thank you.