View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LvWrAM123

You were smart not to address it in the moment, but I do think it is worth addressing during a calm time. During a therapy session would be great, but if you are not doing that, maybe just some other calm time. He may not be doing it consciously, if he was raised in a dysfunctional environment and that is what was modeled for him (or not). But usually you get better results if you can give the benefit of the doubt. To avoid him getting on the defensive, I like the ideas above of all those good communication strategies of I statements, etc. There might be room in the conversation to cushion what you are saying with "I know you are probably not even aware of this, but I have notcied that..." to give him a little "out" and if he is good dad and wants the best for his kids, you can use that, too-focus on your common goals of wanting to raise strong healthy well-adjusted kids as you briefly explain, give a specific example, and request/model how another approach might be better for all involved.

It might work, or it might not. Old habits are hard to break, so he may be amenable to change, but still doesn't get it right every time. I would encourage compassion and encouragement moving forward if that is the case. "I love how you've been more direct in your corrections of Toddler-she is really responding well. I appreciate your efforts." kind of stuff. When you see the behaviors in him you want, praise and encourage them and help him to see why they are beneficial. If he blows you off and is not open to the conversation, then that is one more piece of info you have to consider in future decisions about your family.

Above all, you have to model for your daughter what you want her to know, beleive, and see in you. If daddy doesn't discipline her right and mommy does gets mad at daddy then daddy will "win" here. If you are gentle and loving, yet firm with her, and treat her daddy kindly and with respect, even if he doesn't "deserve it", you can't go wrong. Eventually she will be old enough and have enough exeriences with dad to see his manipulations for what they are, if they persist.

Her relationship with you will be based on her experiences with you. It will be maddening if his behavior like this continues, but your best defense will always be a strong offense. We can't protect our kids from hurt or from being influenced by others completely, but we can innoculate them as best we can, and be their rock and their soft place to come back to when they figure out the hard truths of the world for themselves.