View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
walshie

What about the kids?

HI, all. I was just wondering if someone with older kids (older than newborns or toddlers) could tell me how their drunken partner's drinking has affected them. I have a baby but I'm scared to death thinking what my AH's habits are going to do to him. I hate having to monitor my AH's behavior and making sure beer cans and other miscellaneous messes he leaves around aren't in reach of the baby. I also hate to think that our lives are going to consist of my taking the kids to Al-Anon meetings. (I'm working on getting out one day, I hope.) I just want to make sure the best interests of the kids are served. Maybe that means not living with daddy which unfortunately isn't the best for the kids, but under these circumstances, they may be. I just fear that my kids will grow to be drunks too. So you all that have kids and are a little farther along than me, can you tell me if kids can steer clear of that awful addiction if there is at least one non-drunk in the family? I wish in a way that he didn't pretend to be such a great father and play with his son because he thinks he can drink heavily and be a great dad. He's already proven that isn't possible, but it still doesn't phase him. It would just be easier if he went to drink in private and left us sober ones alone.