View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by Ofelie View Post
I think people in our society talk too damn much. Maybe we should spend more time listening, I bet it would be astounding the sorts of things we would hear if we only just listened.
I am always telling DD - "Stop broadcasting when you should be tuning in!" She would ask half the number of questions if she just LISTENED first, lol. It's a tough habit to break - she chatters non-stop & has since she was a baby.

In addition to what others have said, one big thing that helped me was to step back & ask myself...

Do I even WANT control of this? Does it matter TO ME?

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that no, most often, I did not crave the control... I was just used to having it, and felt an obligation to do it. It has helped me to recognize between what I really want to take accountability for & what I could stop obsessing over.

For example - it was always left to me to handle the holiday schedule for the whole family, but I never cared what we did when. It was more that no one else WANTED to be in charge so I got used to filling that role. So I took that one off my list & even though I had verbalized to everyone that they needed to step up, it took them a while to realize exactly what I meant. They would continue calling me, "What's going on? What are we DOING?"