View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
jaynie04

Thanks for this post!
I agree, there is a difference between quitting drinking and being committed to sobriety. Something that I notice here is that a brief period of quitting strangely can fuel alcoholism by imparting to us that we have "control". Quitting drinking without committing to sobriety is like fasting, simply a deprivation or a holding pattern.

Once we have decided that alcohol no longer has a place in our lives the work begins. I am still in my first year of sobriety and with every occurrence and emotion I handle without alcohol I am aware that I am changing. Change can be scary as an adult, yet when I think about the times I have grown the most in my life it has been because I was willing to take a new path. I am also in awe at the ability of the human body to adapt once it is given a chance.

I can't yet say I am grateful to be an alcoholic, not sure I ever will be. But I am aware that sobriety has forced me not to go through life in a stagnant fashion. Why us? Who would wish this on anyone? Maybe somehow this has been handed to us for a reason….and while I might not always be happy, I am more aware of the experience of being alive than I have ever been….

Thanks for an inspiring post!