Old 02-15-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Gal220

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
No. I will have to give up everything else in my life to go to rehab.
I think almost everyone thinks this, and it's very rarely true. If alcohol is ruining your life, and you can't quit drinking without it, rehab might be something to consider. I didn't go to rehab, but if I had kept drinking, I would have lost everything in my life anyway. Not saying you need it, but that you shouldn't discount it so easily. Many places also have outpatient treatment. You might be able to get help for an hour a two a day or a couple of times a week. And if you have such a great job, you can just claim FMLA and take a medical leave. You don't even have to tell your superiors what your medical condition is.

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
I doubt they would take me in anyway. One day without booze and I am back to normal.
So as long as you can stay sober for one day, you are good? You don't obsess about drinking and will never take another drink?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be glib. I think you may be confusing rehab with detox. Rehab is for anyone having trouble staying sober. Detox is for people who consume amounts of alcohol so high or have consumed it for so long that stopping is dangerous for their health. Not all alcoholics consume this much or are physically dependent on alcohol. I never had withdrawal symptoms, but I'm still an alcoholic, and I needed help to quit.

If I remember right, you said you are young. I was 24 when I quit drinking, and had only been drinking for 3 years, and only in spurts of three or four months at a time. I know how hard it is when you're young to really realize you're in trouble and commit to staying sober. But I can tell you from experience that life on the sober side is so much better, regardless of age. I am extremely grateful I didn't waste decades on drinking. Everyone keeps telling me your 30s are awesome, and I'm looking forward to that.